My First Eco-Dye Attempt

I recently went foraging for wild flowers, berries and plants to use in my first ever eco-dyeing experiment. My previous blog post shows the details of what I found and how I prepared the bundles. To be honest I was rather disappointed with the way the colours came out, but having given it some thought I realise that perhaps my expectations were a little unrealistic. Just because the plant itself is really bright, doesn't mean the colour will transfer to the fabric in the steaming process. I clearly have a lot to learn.

Botanical Forage

A friend sent me a super inspirational short film about eco dyeing the other day, so I decided to go foraging for bright blossoms and plants to give it a go. Armed with a pair of kitchen scissors and a bag I went out in the rain and returned with cassia, succulents, thistle blossoms, eucalyptus bark, coral flowers, hibiscus buds, bougainvillea leaves, mulberries, pepper berries...